Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Annoying Dr. Who Moralism - S06E13 "The Wedding of River Song"



>> FYI - Spoilers follow.  


In episode S06E13 of Doctor Who, the character, Amy Pond, is confronted with whether to untie/rescue the wicked Madame Kovarian when it turns out that her murderous alien allies, the Silence, have decided that she is better off dead and that they no longer have a use from her and will kill her by way of her "eye drive" eye patch.

Madame Kovarian: [weakly] Amy... help me.
Amy Pond: You took my baby from me. And hurt her. And now she's all grown up and she's fine, but I'll never see my baby again.
Madame Kovarian: But you'll still save me, though. Because *he* would, and you'd never do anything to disappoint your precious Doctor.
Rory: Ma'am, we have to go, now!
Amy Pond: [to Kovarian] The Doctor is very precious to me, you're right. But do you know what else he is, Madame Kovarian? Not here.
[Amy re-attachs Kovarian's eye drive] 
Amy Pond: River Song didn't get it all from you, sweetie.
[eye drive activates and Kovarian screams] (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1824359/quotes?qt=qt1563102 )
This seemed like an act of justice from a Dr. Who character.  And Pond didn't seem to much hesitate on the matter.  Wouldn't it be amazing if that action stood on its own?

But no.  This is the BBC.  Here's what we get instead.


Later... when Amy Pond is pondering the death of the Doctor, she has misgivings about her choice to let Kovarian die.  Worse... she takes moral responsiblity for having murdered Madame Kovarian.
Amy Pond: I killed someone. Madame Kovarian. In cold blood.
River Song: In an aborted timeline, in a world that never was.
Amy Pond: Yeah, but I can remember it. So it happened. So I did it. What does that make me now?
(http://mattywhite.tumblr.com/post/11349940757/i-killed-someone-madame-kovarian-in-cold-blood)
I have trouble with this.  Madame Kovarian is a person who has demonstrated a long-term determination to kill Amy Pond's best friend, The Doctor.  In the process of trying to do so, Kovarian kidnapped Pond , kidnapped Pond's daughter, and brainwashed River Song to be a killer.  

Kovarian is betrayed and senteced to agony or execution by the same allies she willingly chose to cooperate with.  And *somehow* Pond's choice not to rescue her from the consequences of her own actions is deemed to be "killing her".  Who here is doing the killing?  Certainly not Amy Pond.

As a show... I like Doctor Who, I just disagree with the blatant moral fallacies which show up here and there.  The one of which they are most guilty?  The protagonists take moral responsibility for the actions of others.