Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Response to Article: Muslim Woman Asked to Leave Line at Bank Over Head Scarf

Response to Article: Muslim Woman Asked to Leave Line at Bank Over Head Scarf
  • In principle, the bank, as the owner and operator of a business concern, has the moral right to choose not to serve anyone, at its sole discretion. A proper government should have no say in this matter since no one is initiating force.
  • A right to religion is not a right to practice it on the property and at the expense of others.
  • If a religion calls for me to be bathed in goat blood and not to wash it off for a year, I do not have the right to force a bank to do business with me while I am in such a disgusting state. I may fully practice my religious beliefs on my own property or on the private property of someone whom permits me.
  • Any government intervention a case such as this one would force the business concern to act against its judgment. In this case, the measures are defensibly enacted to reduce fraud, but that is a trivial secondary consideration which is beside the point. The fundamental consideration is the business concern's right to choose whom it will do business with.